Many girls are worried about one very important question: “Is it possible to make highlights on dyed hair?”. Most experts oppose such experiments with appearance. First, the repeated application of a clarifier and paint negatively affects the state of the hair and leads to damage to its structure. Secondly, colored strands are amenable to highlighting much worse than natural ones. The process itself is difficult and does not always give the desired result. That is why it is worth doing this procedure only with good and experienced craftsmen.
On a note! When you decide to highlight dyed hair, designate for yourself exactly what effect you want to get. This painting technique will be most effective when it is necessary to lighten a long-tired color or to hide regrown roots.
On black hair
Highlighting black hair is an ideal way to transform into a different shade. But the process is not so simple, especially if you want to get a particular tone. In addition, this type of coloring causes great harm, because to whiten black hair will not be so easy. To do this, you have to do a session 2-3 times with an interval of two weeks. In this short time, you will be able to improve the condition of your hair with the help of various masks, serums and balms. If you are going to leave the black base, it is enough just one highlighting, which you can later replace with coloring. Of course, you can paint the growing roots black and re-highlight them, but this is more harmful.
Important! Does black hair make contrast highlighting? This is quite a popular procedure, but you need to remember that it is extremely harmful to the health of the hair.
For dark-haired ladies, several fashionable coloring options are suitable:
- Venetian - a gentle procedure that allows you to change the image without much harm. Its specificity lies in the partial painting of individual strands in light shades, which very smoothly turn into a dark tone. The color is the same, but its intensity will be completely different. The most beautiful Venetian highlighting looks on a long head of hair,
- California - recalls the effect of sun-bleached hair. To get it, the master combines several shades of the same color, which differ from each other in depth. What is important, with this type of painting, the root zone is completely unaffected, because about 5 cm of skin recedes from the skin. The advantages of California dyeing were written in this article,
- Balayazh - this technique is popular among Hollywood stars. She creates an emphasis on the structure of fashionable haircuts. When balayazhego coloring only the tips are exposed, so this technique is also considered gentle. The color palette can be very different, but preference is given to natural shades - copper, beige, nut, coffee, chocolate and honey,
- Booking is an incredibly difficult technique, thanks to which you can easily turn from a brunette into a beautiful blonde. The main thing - to choose the right shade. Ideal light walnut, pearl, beige, pearl,
- Salt and pepper - white highlighting with frequent and thin strands looks stylish and elegant. This is the best option for extravagant women - both young and mature,
- Color is a great choice for brave girls eager for attention. In this case, the master can show all the tumult of his imagination, using red, blue, red and even green. Color can be either separate strands or hair ends.
Also, ombre-style coloring looks beautiful and fashionable.
On dark hair
Highlighting on dyed dark hair (brown, chocolate, coffee) looks very nice, and it is done easily and much safer. They do not need a dramatic clarification - if your hair has not been painted many times, you will be able to achieve the necessary shade immediately.
Those who do not want to completely abandon the dark base, it is recommended to continue to perform the procedure of coloring. And so that the result looks the most harmonious, you need to select the tone from the same color range. For example, coloring with cognac, honey or golden shades would be ideal for dark brown hair.
On blonde hair
Light blonde and blondes are the easiest to dye colored hair, because they do not have to use a brightener. The main thing is to find a shade that will not merge with the light base. Otherwise, there will be no sense from such staining. So, ashy blondes can boldly paint strands in cold colors (pearl, silver). But the owners of golden curls are more suitable warm shades - honey, champagne, cognac, caramel, etc.
No less attractive in bright hair look neat dark strands - chocolate, dark caramel, coffee. They give the main color depth, and the head of hair - the volume. They can be placed in the frame of the face, attracting additional attention to it.
Tip! To facilitate the fight with regrown roots, choose for highlighting the shade that will be similar to your natural color. So you can visit the hairdresser less often.
Light strands look great not only traditional, but also bright highlights. Having decided on such a bold experiment, try to start painting only one strand with a tinting compound. This will make it easy to fix the result if you don’t like it.
You should also consider your age group and professional activities. If you are over 30 and have a serious job, then a blond with bright red strands is unlikely to be the best complement to your look.
Important! In no case do not highlight the strongly bleached hair - as a result you will have a burned-out scourer.
In the following video you will learn about the technique of highlighting dark hair:
On red hair
Ginger girls can also make highlights on dyed hair, but only on condition that they do not use natural henna. No professional colorist will assume such responsibility, because the end result can be just terrible - blue or green. If you used the usual colors, you can safely use the Venetian highlighting with a brown, reddish or white tint. Here it is necessary to take into account belonging to the color type:
- Spring - bright red, orange, fiery red,
- Autumn - scarlet, coffee,
- Winter - platinum, silver,
- Summer - caramel, peach, copper.
Coloring this type significantly refreshes the image and make you younger and much more interesting. It can be performed as a rare wide, and frequent thin strands, placing them either along the entire length, or asymmetrically.
Tip! To obtain smooth transitions between red and striped strands, you need to mix two tones from the same color range. The main thing is that the final result differs from the original one by no more than 2-3 tones.
Technique gentle highlighting is ideal for colored hair. It creates the effect of burnt locks and subtle glare. To get such an amazing result, you need to select very small strands and slightly lighten them with a gentle toning agent.
Tip! Using toning preparations should not be carried away by deep cleansing shampoos - they wash out the color.
As you can see in this photo, the contrasting color looks bright and stylish. This is the perfect choice for the brave and young! The only drawback - the strands need to lighten. Only then will red, blue, purple and yellow look beautiful. For this technique you need a permanent permanent dye, the color of which you need to choose wisely. For example, blue strands look bad on a blond with a noticeable yellow tint. But on ashen or neutral, they are just perfect.
Tip! Performing contrasting technique requires accuracy, otherwise the image will be vulgar. Trust this process is necessary only from an experienced colorist.
Hair care after double dyeing
The hair that has undergone double staining needs special care. Such strands become vulnerable to external influences, quickly broken and split. To restore them, follow these rules.
- Rule 1. Wash your hair with shampoo for colored hair.
- Rule 2. After each wash, apply an air conditioner or a balm (you can have one that does not need to be washed off).
- Rule 3. Once a week, make a mask with a nourishing or moisturizing effect.
- Rule 4. Before shampooing for about 1 hour, grease the ends with burdock, olive, castor and other oils.
- Rule 5. As seldom as possible use curling iron, iron and thermo hair curlers.
- Rule 6. While drying with a hot dryer, direct the air only to the root zone. The tips should dry on their own or under cool air.
- Rule 7. Going outside, hide your hair from the sun.
- Rule 8. Do not sleep with loose curls, braid them in a braid. This will reduce the risk of injury.
- Rule 9. Discard metal hairpins, tight rubber bands and other dangerous accessories. From a strong tightening, loose strands easily break off and fall out.
- Rule 10. Be sure to use special sera.
See also: How to make a brondirovanie on dark hair at home (video)
Highlighting or staining?
If you have natural hair color, and you are faced with the choice to dye them completely or to highlight, it is better to give preference to the second option. Now there are a lot of ways and technologies that make it very advantageous to beat the natural shade of the hair, but at the same time they cause less harm to it than continuous coloring.
- paint has a negative impact only on certain strands,
- correctly selected tones allow you to mask gray hair,
- no need to tint the roots, hairstyle remains neat for at least 1 month,
- if you don't like the selected image, you can easily fix it with toning strands.
Risks of partial tinting dyed strands
Is it possible to highlight pre-dyed hair? Of course you can. Even if you choose a too saturated base color, there are chances to refresh it with the help of selective brightening of the order. Modern techniques allow to color and light, and dark curls. However, it should be borne in mind that you may encounter a number of problems if the hair has already yielded to full coloring.
- improper manifestation of pigment (the appearance of yellowness, uneven staining of strands),
- exhaustion of hair, their drying out,
- hair loss
Strands in black hair
Black base color is the least suitable for highlighting, since the strands will have to be pre-lightened. This may cause irreparable harm to them. However, a competent master can choose the most suitable and safe option even for the darkest base.
- Frequent highlighting in several stages. This option is suitable for girls who want to bring bored black color. The clarification procedure is carried out with an interval of at least 2 weeks. This time is necessary for the curls to recover. But keep in mind that you have to regularly use nutrients and moisturizers for hair.
- Highlighting and coloring. This option is used if you want to leave black as the base color and add new highlights to it. Lightening is carried out only once, then used tonics for coloring. The method will create a smooth play in the curls and refresh your hair.
It is important to know! Contrast brightening of black-colored curls can lead to disastrous consequences. Coloring compositions aggressively affect the hair shaft and can damage it.
Partial brightening on dark curls
Highlighting on dark-colored hair is more gentle than in the version with black hair. The desired result can be achieved even after a single straightening. Further, non-aggressive tonics are used to create tempting modulations in curls.
The choice of colors is a significant moment in highlighting dark hair. It is important that the shades are in harmony with the base and be as close as possible to it.
- Honey, cognac and golden hues will be combined with a dark chestnut base,
- light auburn shades will look good on auburn.
Highlighting light hair
Full dyeing in light color is the best “canvas” for a hairdresser who will perform highlighting. To make on such a basis you can truly magnificent play. However, note that too light hair color is not suitable for creating even lighter strands. Coloring compositions will only damage the curls and make them lifeless, and you will not notice much difference in colors. Another thing is not too light base. It can only use a brightener, without toner, and the result will be just great.
Dark highlighting will be the perfect solution for a light colored hair. The effect of the composition on the strands will not be too aggressive, and the result will be pronounced. However, care should be taken in choosing colors.
For lovers of the classics, not very contrasting tones will do, but a flashy image can be created with the help of bright color pigments.
Tip! To be sure that you want dark highlights, immediately try using a tonic. In the case of a successful experiment, go for permanent dyes. If you didn’t like the result, then after 6-8 washing your hair there will be no trace of color left.
Types of gentle highlighting
It is advisable not to have a very aggressive effect on dyed hair, because more and more often girls use fashionable and gentle technologies. For several years they have not lost their relevance, as they allow, without much harm to hair, to give a completely new look to hair.
The advantages of gentle techniques:
- the ability to grow natural color without clutter on the head,
- a very large gap between the corrections of the hairstyle, it remains in excellent shape up to several months,
- creating the effect of natural burnout curls in the sun, which is especially important this season.
This type of highlighting is performed using a special cap, in which holes are made if the hair is short. With a hook through the holes, strands with a diameter of not more than 5 mm are drawn out, and then processed with pigment. Brighten the curls can be only 1-2 tones to injure them less.
If the hair is long, the foil is used, into which the strands treated with dye are wrapped. Thin light curls will look very harmonious on a light brown, light chestnut or red base.
This is one of the safest methods of clarification, as it involves the use of special coloring compositions with beeswax, which nourishes and protects curls. The master mixes several tones, after which he randomly puts them on separate strands.
The main thing - to retreat from the roots, which can easily grow, and you do not have to tint them. The technique is perfect for an extended four, medium-length haircuts and, of course, long hair.
Another technique of maximum safe clarification, during the execution of which is not used foil and thermal paper. This minimizes the negative effects of coloring compositions. The master works with several tones at once, there should be at least 3 of them, preferably 5.
Step by step stains of arbitrary thickness, the color at the roots is the darkest, so they can grow without causing you psychological discomfort. At the tips, the tone becomes the brightest. Smooth transition provides the effect of natural burnout curls in the sun.
Instead of epilogue
In spite of the fact that there are a lot of photos and videos in free access on how to do partial staining in the home, it is best to contact a specialist. First of all, it will help you decide on the appropriate shades.
Also, an experienced professional will be able to determine the extent of damage to the hair from a complete painting and find out if they can be injured again.
It is possible to highlight colored curls, but you should be aware that the hair will certainly suffer from this. The only question is how much harm will you inflict on them with repeated exposure to clarifiers and ammonia paints.
It may happen that the hairdresser offers you to begin to treat the hair, and only then change their color. Do not forget that bleached hair needs particularly careful care. Having provided it, you will rejoice every day with your beautiful and stylish hairstyle.
How often can you dye colored strands
After how much after staining can you do discoloration? This question interests many girls who want to refresh their image a little.
If you have recently painted your hair, it will take at least a couple of weeks, and preferably a month and a half before the next painting. During this period, your curls will be able to restore its structure, to become more resilient and prepared for bleaching.
During the recovery period, you will need to actively care for your hair - make nourishing masks based on oils, keratin, kefir, honey and egg yolk.
If you intend to highlight colored curls with henna or Basma - you should wait at least 6 months from the moment of the previous painting. The fact is that a natural dye is able to penetrate strongly into the structure of each hair. When bleaching occurs, the oxygenator comes in contact with natural pigment, after which an unpleasant purple or green tint may form on the curls. So, we recommend that you wait and not risk it. You can learn more about highlighting henna on our website.
Recommendations stylists. Painted curls tinged balm or tonic, while you want to make highlights on the painted curls - wait a couple of days. You can easily remove the color on the hair with the help of 5-6 shampooing procedures.
If you suddenly do a perm, refrain from the procedure for at least a month. Otherwise, you risk significant damage to your hair.
Be sure to pay attention to how the hair was dyed. If it is a permanent composition containing ammonia, then for about 1.5 months refrain from discoloration. When dyeing with weak tint, having a small amount of hydrogen peroxide, wait 1 month.
As known, dyed locks worse bleach than untouched by dye. But if you pick the clarifier correctly and put your trust in real professionals, you can achieve the desired effect.
According to women, when highlighting on dyed hair, such negative consequences are possible:
- totally wrong color is achieved
- hair will become "lifeless" and brittle,
- seaminess and dryness will be noticeable
- it creates an unpleasant cobweb on the curls in case of high humidity,
- hair starts to climb and fall out
- over time, the color fades,
- shine is lost.
To avoid this, you need to trust the hands of professionals, properly conduct the procedure and care for the hair after dyeing.
An important point! If you contact the salon, you can make a color remover with the help of professional cosmetics.
Experts recommend creating a sun glare effect on curls, so the following modern techniques are suitable for dyed hair:
Is it possible to avoid negative consequences
Of course, the result and how your hair will look after dyeing depends on your actions.
Follow these tips:
- A week before the procedure, be sure to make a restoring mask.
- If you are going to tint the roots after the previous highlighting, use a special comb-stripper, which will allow you to accurately reproduce the previous picture.
- Choose a gentle method of coloring, for example, lighten only the bangs and strands of the temples.
- Make a trial highlighting in a separate area to see what the result will be.
- Properly pick up oxygenator. If you have blond hair, 3-6% dye will be enough. For dark curls, 9–12% clarifier should be used.
- For the purpose of less injury to the locks, purchase non-ammonia dyes (unfortunately, the color will be delayed by only 3-4 weeks).
If you are going to completely highlight the previously painted curls, then you will surely achieve the expected effect. In the case of bleaching individual strands, when the base color remains, it is better to make coloring, that is, to use several colors.
Highlighting dark previously dyed hair
Light brown and chestnut curls - this is the perfect color for highlighting. If your curls were not subject to frequent staining, then lightening of the order can happen the first time. In order to not blend the strands into contrast with the base color, it is recommended to tint them in:
- chestnut colors
- nut color.
An interesting option is highlighting in the style of “Salt and Pepper”, when the base color “graphite” is successfully combined with ashy.
The advantage of discoloration of dark locks is considered to be a significant rejuvenation, since light colors attract attention to themselves, distracting them from problem areas of the skin and wrinkles. In addition, this type of staining will help hide gray hair.
For rich black strands, the following shades are suitable:
You will never regret if you use pastel shades. For example:
- baked milk,
- White wine,
The following dyeing techniques are suitable for dark hair:
- illumination, highlighting the lower strands,
- "Frost" (most effectively revealed on curly dark curls),
- Venetian highlighting, which allows you to achieve the effect of sun glare,
- mazhesh or French highlighting, suggesting the color drying in the open air,
- balayazh when stretching the color to height,
- Ombre, suggesting contrast and smooth transitions.
On dyed red hair
Partial dyeing of red locks looks quite impressive, making the hair more expressive. We advise women to use red-haired women:
- fiery red
- red shades.
Owners of redheads, belonging to the winter color type, will suit platinum and silver colors.
To achieve beautiful brown and reddish tints, experts recommend using techniques of balayazh and Venetian highlighting.
None of the master will not take up the highlighting of hair, pre-stained with henna. The fact is that the crushed leaves of lavsonia fill the voids of each hair, preventing the penetration of the permanent dye. If you do the painting, the result may be quite unexpected: a green tint or uneven color distribution.
Important! If you want to achieve smooth transitions between red and curly lobs, then combine several shades from one color palette. Do not try to achieve a contrast on the head of hair, and lighten by 2-3 tones.
What dyes are suitable
When highlighting you can use:
- Cream dye "Magem" on the basis of wax, which is absolutely not spread when applied and is suitable for brittle and weakened hair.
- Ammonia-free paint (remember, it does not last long on the strands).
- Special powder "Blond", which allows discoloration of the strands by 5–8 tones (unfortunately, such a remedy cannot be called sparing).
- Paste "Platinum" from Garaniere (intended for highlighting, is almost harmless dye and is suitable for colored hair).
- Cream paint from L'Oreal viscous consistency that will not be spread on the hair.
Of course, if you have already dyed your hair, and then decided to bleach it, you will need careful care. If you want the straps to be neat and not sticking out like straw, then follow these tips:
- dry hair curls less and do not resort to heat treatment curlers, curling, ironing,
- pick up shampoos “For dyed” and “For melirovanny hair”, which will not wash off the color, or try to get the product without lauryl sulfate,
- be sure to once a week make regenerating masks, based on coconut, olive and burdock oils, as well as yolk, honey, sour cream,
- after washing, rinse the curls with a decoction of herbs and roots (chamomile, nettle, burdock), which will provide shine,
- cut the curls every month,
- do not rub your hair with a towel in order to dry them quickly, and also do not brush your wet head,
- close the hair with a hat in summer, in order to avoid the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation,
- refuse uncomfortable metal hairpins and tight rubber bands,
- before bedtime, braid your braid to injure your curls less,
- immediately after painting, apply balsam conditioner, because when bleaching moisture is removed.
Balm-conditioner or conditioner should be used on lightly dried hair. This simple advice will allow them to become crumbly and get a beautiful shine.
Thus, highlighting the curls that were previously painted, should be carried out with caution. The fact is that if the strands succumbed to the effects of perohydrol and ammonia, a repeated staining procedure can make them lifeless and brittle. But do not despair much, because compliance with the technique, ammonia-free dye and proper care after the procedure will allow you to look even more attractive.
Is it possible to highlight dyed hair?
Highlighting is the dyeing of individual strands on the hair in close to the basic color tone to give the curls of visual structure and density.
After this procedure, the hairstyle becomes more voluminous, the color at the expense of shades begins to "play" in a new way on the hair, the shortcomings of the hairstyle and facial contours are concealed.
Highlighting dyed hair is a great way out for those who do not want to again expose their hair to a strong chemical effect, since this procedure mainly uses gentle formulations.
In this case, it is much more difficult to choose a paint or brightener, since you need to take into account not only its combination with the main tone, but also how it will interact with the composition that you have dyed your hair before.
In addition, it is especially important to take into account the durability and type of product: too gentle composition may not have the desired effect, and too strong - finally ruin the hair.
Councils of stylists and hairdressers
Despite the fact that highlighting is considered one of the simplest and most accessible staining techniques, it has its own subtleties and features.
Improper procedure or too bright color can visually age a woman, make her hair too pretentious and unnatural.
Today, professional stylists give several recommendations to women who have decided to update their image by highlighting.
How to choose the appropriate type of staining?
There are several types of highlighting, each of which takes into account a certain type of appearance, shape of the face, color and length of hair.
Many women just get lost when they face the question what is the way to choose.
The most correct decision will be to contact a professional master who will help to take into account all the features of your image.
He will not only select the right kind of highlighting, but also help determine the shades, width and number of colored strands.
Sitting in the barber's chair do not hesitate to express your opinion and wishes for the future image.
Ask questions, follow the master's technique, ask to clarify incomprehensible moments, find out what colors he used - this will help you learn more about the procedure itself, and another time you will be able to conduct it yourself.
When not recommended to paint?
There are several contraindications for women with dyed hair, which should be found before highlighting:
- if the hair was too damaged after pre-dyeing. In this case, highlighting only exacerbates the situation. It should treat hair for at least one, and preferably two to three weeks and only after that to carry out the procedure.
- If there is irritation or damage to the skin of the head or neck. Interaction with the coloring composition can further disrupt the state of unhealed wounds, causing a strong allergic reaction, redness, itching and even burns.
- It should be remembered that the staining of badly damaged hair can give not quite the effect that you expect. It is impossible to predict how the coloring pigment will behave on the burnt lifeless hair.
- If before you did toning and were not satisfied with its result, highlighting the strands is not the best way to adjust the appearance. You should prefer light staining.
- If you are using a non-natural dye when highlighting, and before that your hair was already colored with persistent ammonia paint - be careful, the result can be unexpected and in most cases unpleasant.
- Highlighting can not be carried out immediately after the perm, because the hair is in a heavily damaged state. Similarly, after any staining or permanent lightening, you should wait at least one month before performing the procedure.
Features of the procedure depending on the hair color
The most effective highlights will look on blond hair, regardless of whether they were discolored or it is a natural color. Blondes through this technique can achieve the effect of glare and natural hair shine, which makes the tone more profound and interesting.
It is possible to make highlighting on red hair only if before that they were not dyed with henna, since this natural dye completely fills the hair voids, making it more dense.
Such curls, firstly, do not lend themselves well to any staining afterwards, and secondly, not a single professional stylist can say for sure what color will be in the end, and how evenly it will lie.
Ginger girls who dyed their hair with ordinary paint recommended Venetian highlighting, when individual strands are painted in reddish and brown shades.
For brunettes the most bright and fashionable today solution will be bleaching strand. This procedure is somewhat more complicated than standard highlighting, since color alignment is done first, and only then the procedure itself is performed. This method allows you to avoid strong burning and damage to the hair, creates an easy and smooth transition between shades.
How to make yourself? Step-by-step instruction
First you need to prepare the necessary tools that you may need in the process of dyeing: a comb on a thin leg, a brush, barrettes, protective gloves, hair dye or bleach, foil and peignoir.
- Comb your hair and define a parting on the line from the forehead to the neck. After that, divide the curls into eight parts according to the principle: two strands on each side and two each in the central and occipital zones.
- If you begin to paint the strands from the occipital zone, then gradually move up, if from the crown - down. Only having processed the central region of the head proceed to highlighting the side zones.
- Separate the strand of the desired width from the curls and use the “darning” method to determine several thin strands that you place on the foil.
- Apply a dye to the indicated strand with a special brush, departing one or two centimeters from the roots to avoid uneven coloring in the root zone.
- Wrap the colored strand in foil and secure it with barrettes.
- Depending on the shade that you want to achieve, keep the paint for 10 to 15 minutes on light and no more than 45 minutes on dark hair.
- Remove the foil and wash your hair with shampoo under warm water.
- Apply a balm or mask and rinse your hair again.
Before you wash off the dye from the head, unfold the last colored strand and check whether the desired shade has turned out. If the desired effect is not achieved, then you should increase the time by a few minutes or heat the last strands with warm air from a hair dryer.
How long will the result last?
If you made highlighting with a brightener, then the result will remain with you exactly until you decide to cut or repaint the hair.
Of course, over time, the roots will grow and they will have to tint.
The color of the strands and pitch will also require correction, the hair may dull and lose its natural look. The hairdressers recommend repeating the highlighting procedure no more than once every four weeks in order not to harm the curls.
It does not hurt the hair, but will hide the shortcomings of the tone after dyeing. As for highlighting with bright dyes, it will be necessary to update the color in two or three weeks.
Before and after pictures
Hair care rules
Damaged hair after coloring and highlighting will need intensive restoration. Curls without proper care will become dry and lifeless, and not a single hairstyle or styling will hide it. Professional stylists highlight a few basic rules that should be followed in order for the hair to retain its brilliance and natural beauty for a long time:
- use hair dryer, iron and styling tongs as rarely as possible, especially during the first week after highlighting.
- It is better to replace gels, varnishes, foams or mousses with nourishing sprays and caring hair oils.
- Do not allow too long exposure to direct sunlight on curls.
- After shampoo, always use a restorative balm or mask.
- To preserve hair shine, after washing, rinse them with warm water mixed with vinegar (ratio of one teaspoon per liter of water).
Possible mistakes and what to do in case of failure?
In highlighting there are a number of features, the non-observance of which can lead to a deplorable result. For example, it is necessary to retreat one or two centimeters from the roots during dyeing to avoid stains in the root zone. You should also carefully consider the contraindications that warn in what cases should not be highlighting on colored hair.
Incorrectly chosen shades can visually make an old woman, emphasizing her shortcomings. In this matter, it is always better to consult with a professional before proceeding to self-staining. Before highlighting, you may need to align the color - do not neglect it!
However, it should be remembered that you need to wait at least one to two weeks before exposing already injured hair to a new chemical effect.
Highlighting is a great way to brush up on a familiar look, add visual density and structure to a hairstyle. This is a gentle coloring, which does not expose tired hair to severe stress, but allows for a bright and natural effect. Follow the recommendations of stylists, familiarize yourself with the contraindications and do not forget about the restorative care of your curls with the help of balms and masks.
Advantages of highlighting
- favors the "revitalization" of the appearance of hair,
- promotes smooth transition to natural color curls after staining,
- creates a visual increase in the volume of hair,
- facilitates the disguise of gray hair,
- does not require frequent touch-up (hair is tinted every three months),
- noticeably rejuvenates older women.
When can I do the procedure?
And the first important question: when can we make highlights on dyed dark hair? The answer will not be unequivocal.
If you made staining with resistant paint (a mixture of "oxide + pigment"), then the hairdressers are advised to plan a new image change only after a month and a half. Why such a long time? First of all, to preserve the health and natural beauty of your hair. During this time, the strands will have time to become more elastic, restore their structure.
And if highlighting on dyed dark hair is an urgent need? After painting should take at least two weeks. In order to somehow restore the hair before a new test, professionals advise all this time to actively take care of them. For example, make nourishing masks. They can be made independently from kefir, vegetable oils, keratin, egg yolk and honey.
Now another common case. When is it possible to make highlights on dyed dark hair, if toning was done with basma or henna? There will have to wait six months. And this is the minimum time!
The fact is that natural pigment penetrates deeper into artificial hair structure. When you lighten the curls with oxide when highlighting, the oxidizer will come in contact with the non-washed pigment. For you, this will turn into an ugly green or purple shade on light strands.
We analyze the nuances
And a few more nuances with highlighting on dark-colored hair:
- If you used a tint balm or mousse to change the color, then wait a couple of days before highlighting. Completely remove the dark color can be 5-6 procedures for washing hair.
- If you, in addition to dyeing in a dark color, made a perm, wait until the image is updated a month. Otherwise, you do much damage to the curls.
- If the hair is colored dark with a permanent composition (the dye contains ammonia), then wait for highlighting for 1.5 months.
- If for dyeing you used a paint with a gentle effect (with a small amount of hydrogen peroxide), then it is better to make clarification in a month.
Reviews of the procedure
Let us collect feedback on such an ambiguous procedure as highlighting on dark dyed hair:
- The procedure has a lot of advantages. Allows you to refresh the color, solves the problem of regrown roots, especially on gray hair. If the scalp is oily, then highlighting dries it. This eliminates the need for daily hair washing. Transforms bored coloring, makes the color more lively and more interesting.
- The biggest drawback is the unpredictable result. Sometimes even the master can not 100% guarantee the outcome of the procedure. Lightening colored hair is a matter that should be trusted only to a professional.
- For many reviewers, the problem was to find a hairdresser who decided to make such highlights. Masters refuse for many reasons: the hair is not ready for the procedure (too weakened, dried up), there are no sparing means in the arsenal, suitable oxidizing agents and so on. The real reason is that the hairdresser does not want to take responsibility for the unpredictable result.
- In order not to hurt the hair, you need to turn to non-ammonia dyes. And after the highlighting procedure, do not spare money on quality care products. So the hair will remain beautiful and strong.
How to avoid negative consequences?
Will the highlights on dyed dark hair? The result of the procedure depends largely on your correct actions:
- A week before lightening, be sure to make a restorative hair mask.
- Have you done highlighting and want to paint the roots? Refer to the comb-stripper. This tool will allow you to make discoloration on the previous pattern of strands.
- For dyed hair is better to choose a gentle way to lighten. For example, select rare strands. Or lighten only the bangs or whiskey.
- Highlight one strand on an inconspicuous area. If the result satisfies you, you can proceed to a complex procedure.
- You must choose the right oxygenator. If the hair is light, then a solution of 3-6% concentration is necessary. For dark strands suitable 9 - 12% oxidizer.
- In order to injure the already colored hair as little as possible, try to choose a non-ammonia dye. But be prepared that the shade will leave you after 3-4 weeks.
Modern highlighting techniques for colored hair
If we turn to reviews about highlighting on dyed dark hair, photos before and after the procedure, we will see that in such cases it is very successful to use modern techniques that create the effects of sun glare on the hair.
Therefore, if you are not a conservative in the world of beauty, we recommend paying attention not only to traditional methods of highlighting, but also to novelties:
- California highlighting.
- Partial staining.
Which base is good for highlighting?
Hairdressers note that highlighting (lightening of individual strands) looks great in combination with the following basic colors:
- “Salt and pepper” (the base color is “graphite” in combination with ashy strands).
If we turn to the photo, reviews about highlighting on dyed dark hair, we will see that such a transformation makes the face younger and fresher. The fact is that light colors first of all attract attention. And it distracts the eye from the wrinkles, problem areas of the skin.
"Warm" toning on dark hair
Another popular procedure for transforming dark colored hair is toning. Here, the individual strands are first clarified, and then dyed in a contrasting shade.
If your base color is saturated dark (or black), toning with such options will look great:
- "Black currant".
Traditional highlighting techniques
Already traditional are the following technologies to highlight a dark base color:
- Illuminations. "Highlighting" the lower strands.
- Venetian highlighting on dark dyed hair (photo you can see below). The effect of "sunbeams" on the hair.
- Frost. Great for curly, wavy curls.
- French highlighting. Assumes dry color in the open air.
- Balayazh. Color stretches in height - from the crown to the tips of the hair.
- Ombre. Smooth and contrast color transitions.
Proper care after the procedure
In conclusion, we will acquaint the reader with important recommendations for the care of dyed hair that survived highlighting:
- Discard the hair dryer and any kind of hot styling - irons, pleyek, thermal curlers.
- Pick up a special shampoo, a balm for dyed or melirovanny hair. The composition of such funds does not contribute to the rapid washing out of color. It is important that the shampoo does not contain aggressive lauryl sulfate.
- At least once a week, do regenerating hair masks. Useful compositions of natural ingredients (you can easily make them yourself) - coconut, olive, burdock oil with the addition of honey, sour cream and egg yolk.
- Use and natural rinses. Here, the broths of healing herbs — burdock, chamomile, nettle — proved to be excellent. This treatment will return a healthy shine to hair.
- The split ends problem is solved by trimming them every month.
- Wet, but do not rub the hair with a towel. Weakened locks do not need new stresses.
- Do not comb the wet strands. Physical injury harms the hair structure when they are restored.
- Protect hair from exposure to harmful ultraviolet radiation - sunlight. The easiest way is to use a hat. You can purchase a spray with UV filters. Of course, hiding your hair is worth it when visiting a tanning salon.
- Do not use tight elastic bands or heavy hairpins. They create an extra unnecessary burden.
- Before going to bed, braid long hair into a braid to injure it less.
- Periodically use balm conditioner. Surviving coloring and highlighting hair needs additional hydration.
Is it possible to highlight on dyed dark hair? Yes, if you endure a certain period after toning. It is important to prepare your hair for new stress and not to forget about caring for them after highlighting. Today, there are many techniques that will help to revive the tired dark tone - this is both modern and traditional techniques. In addition to highlighting, you can also apply to toning in classic or trendy colors. Thus, the options for transformation are many. The main thing is to find a master who will qualitatively produce a complex procedure with an unpredictable result.
Disadvantages of highlighting
- When using a large number of colors, it is quite difficult to carry out the procedure yourself,
- the procedure takes quite a lot of time
- daily washing of the head is not recommended, because it can lead to a quick washout of paint,
- the cost of cosmetics is large enough.
Highlights on dyed black hair
The most difficult thing to do is to highlight black, tar, dyed hair. You can forget about the choice of a particular shade, since in this situation only lightening of some curls can help you. To change the strand color, hair must be discolored and only then carry out the clarification of individual strands. Mostly frequent highlighting is used, and in order to get a really tangible result, the process will have to be repeated two or three times with two-week breaks. During breaks you need conduct intensive courses of healing regenerating masks. They can be purchased in stores or prepared independently from natural ingredients (the second option is more desirable).
Look at the photo taken after applying the highlighting technique to dyed black hair.
But the photo with the use of gray tint with a smooth transition to white.
Highlighting on dyed dark hair
Highlighting on dyed dark hair is much easier than on black, since you do not have to carry out several procedures for lightening curls. There is a high probability that you will get the desired result after one procedure. In addition, highlighting on dark curls is very softens the female image - gives it sensuality and playfulness. Owners of dark colored hair can use several different shades at once, without observing any clear boundaries. An excellent option is a gradual clarification from dark roots to the tips, so that the particular difference between the colored areas of the hair and the regrown roots will not be visible.
Photo after highlighting on dyed dark hair.
Highlights on dyed blonde hair
Highlighting on light colored hair is considered the easiest, since there is no need to discolor curls - unless, of course, the color turned out without yellowness. The best option for blonde women would be to make California highlights, because with it you will give your hair the effect of burnt hair. To avoid problems with regrown roots, I recommend using varieties of shade, which is close to the natural color of regrown hair.
Experts recommend that ashy blondes use “cold colors” for highlighting - silver, pearl, and owners of golden curls - caramel or honey, brandy shade.
Photo taken after highlighting on dyed blonde hair.
Highlights on dyed red hair
Red-haired women can safely use highlighting on dyed hair, but there is one “but” - if you used henna when painting, then highlighting is strictly prohibited. Henna penetrates deep into the hair structure and at repeated, even partial painting, the curls will be painted unevenly, and as a result you can get a completely unexpected and unpredictable color. However, if you were painted with the usual red paint, Venetian highlighting is ideal for you. Partial dyeing of red hair will only enhance the expressiveness of the hair and noticeably refresh your look, make it younger and more interesting.
Photo after highlighting on dyed red hair
Reviews about highlighting on dyed hair
The largest cosmetology center in our city decided to conduct an online survey among regular visitors to its website about ways of highlighting for dyed hair. I was interested in this survey, because they invited the famous stylist Alexander Stelmakh. I made a selection of the most interesting and informative expert answers.
Marina, 25 years old
Made an independent hair coloring and slightly screwed up with the selection of shades. In addition, a little overworked paint - the color was awful. I turned to a familiar master for help and was pleasantly shocked by the result after frequent highlighting - I don’t know how he managed to correct my mistakes so coolly. I advise in case of failure to contact the master.